Sunday, October 21, 2012

Nail Polish

Back in June I babysat these two kids for a friend of mine who was going on a trip (Milan? Chicago? Can't remember) and needed a replacement. I had nothing else to do with my free time and needed the extra money.

Turns out my experience and knowledge of kids aged 7 to 11 wasn't actually needed because the family had invited this other family who were on some mini world tour or something.

Anyhow, what really got to me was that, the father of that family (let's call him Mark for the purpose of this post) was so cool. I mean, I've met cool dads before and they always jump out at me, seem out of the ordinary because let's say that my experience with fatherly figures hasn't been the prettiest.

Anyhow, at some point before lunch, Mark pulls out this child-sized professional looking nail polish kit, calls his daughter and in no time has a nail polish studio up and running in the kitchen. My mind does a 180 and I'm like...wait WHAT?!?!?!

And the guy wasn't even butchering his daughters hands. Mark made some awesome designs including flags (France, USA, Canada, Argentina, Brasil, Germany...--- one on each finger!!) and stripes and polka-dots and yeah...

I was seated there, dumbfounded at the idea that a father could have a super relationship with his three young daughters to the point he's pulling all the stops by doing their nails.

And it really got me thinking...

Maybe if my dad had been that cool, we'd still be talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment